Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Befriending The Boogeyman

Sink or swim, there's no better way to go through life. Nine out of ten people will dip their foot in the water to see how cold it is before they jump in, but I refuse to be one of those people. I prefer the mad ones, the ones that calmly remark "fuck it" and jump out into the unknown. The ones that emerge out of the water gasping for air, swearing at the top of their lungs how cold it is, heckling their friends to stop being such pussies and get in.

It's about committing to the moment, whatever that moment may entail. It's about pain and pride, heartache and happiness. What a wasted life it would be to not explore the vast array of emotion and feelings this world has to offer.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Emerson

I've learned to enjoy pain, to enjoy the dark moments, to look forward to the unknown... to embrace it with open arms. To take every negative as a lesson rather than a punishment. To find happiness that today's pain will bring tomorrow's wisdom. To know that today's misfortunes are tomorrow's opportunity to become something better.

There's nothing I enjoy more than watching people suffer through a workout. It doesn't matter how good or bad the workout goes as long as they fully commit to it... because the amount of character built during those precious moments cannot be measured. I've seen people collapse to the ground in complete exhaustion, I've seen people get punched in the face repeatedly and continue to move forward, I've seen people do the "impossible", I've seen people grab their fears by the throat, smile and calmly whisper "bring it, bitch".

I choose to embrace my fears in all aspects of life. To ask that girl out on a date nobody thinks I have a chance with, to apply for that job that has 500 applicants even if they're only hiring one, to stand up for something I find unjust even if only leads to ridicule from the vast majority.

Non Timebo Mala
Our time on Earth is limited, limiting ourselves to only experiencing what is comfortable, fun and easy is simply not acceptable. Challenge yourself to be scared, to take chances. Stand in front of The Boogeyman, whatever he may represent to you and tell that little bitch, "let's dance".

No comments:

Post a Comment